Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Pines at Genesee

The folks at The Pines at Genesee came to me with the need to update their site with something that was easier to update.  They had taken a shot at this with a Flash-based site, but soon learned that being in Flash would keep the site from being indexed by search engines.

Working off the design they already had developed in Flash I copied the look they were going for into a content management system (CMS).  When setting up these types of sites I lean towards using the open source CMS called Drupal.  This system provides a modular approach to building a website's look and functionality.  Thus while a site can start as a blog which is easily updateable by average computer users, additional modules can be added to increase the functionality (e.g. for forums, picture galleries, form submissions, etc.).  This flexibility allowed me to add in the randomly rotating images seen on many of the pages.

I believe people should be able to have nice looking sites that they can update without having to learn HTML or Dreamweaver.  I think this site exemplifies that philosophy.


No comments:

Post a Comment