Thursday, October 8, 2009

Where Did Summer Go?

Or even Autumn for that matter?  One week it's summer and the next it feels like we skipped directly to Winter.  The picture to the left is from our porch in Castle Rock, CO where it has started snowing.  We had snow a week or two ago too, but this is the first time it's actually stayed on the ground.  I didn't think this was supposed to happen at least until Halloween!

I suppose it was a sign of the season as Erin and I went to get our flu shots on Tuesday last week.  While our arms both felt sore afterward, we weren't otherwise side-affected.

Still, when my friend Andres invited me to watch baseball last Thursday I thought it was a good omen for the last remnants of Summer.  While the game was a lot of fun and the Rockies won, I was sorely disappointed in terms of the weather.  It was okay in the sun, but the wind was bitterly cold in the shade where we were seated.  It was nice to get after the game and get a beer and a burger.

Then this past weekend Erin and I attempted to ride up to see the Fall foliage like we did last year (Enjoying Fall Foliage, Ouzo, and Bowling).  This time we were able to go with our friends Brian and Cassie (also on their motorcycle).  After meeting our wedding videographer to see a first cut of our wedding video (which looked very nice) we met up and headed up to the mountains.  The ride started nicely, but got colder the higher up we got until we stopped at a light and Erin exclaimed how cold she was.  Still, I pressed on hoping to find a good spot to view the changing colors.  After a while though I realized that it wasn't going to happen with the route we had chosen and the approaching storm clouds.  We turned around and went back to Brian and Cassie's place.

Back in the warmth of their home we were treated to a warm, delicious meal and a touching movie.  We also got to spend time with Neal's dog Bart (pictured right) who Brian and Cassie were looking after for the weekend.  He's such a friendly and well-trained dog that it's hard not to like him.

On Sunday Erin and I did some work and ran errands until it was time to start preparing dinner.  It was our pleasure to host my aunt and uncle down to our place for some lemon chicken picatta.  We had a great time chatting and catching up.

So now Erin and I are getting ready to head out to our monthly supper club up in Denver.  Of course it would be snowing and I hope it lets up soon.  Fortunately Erin doesn't have work tomorrow so we can sleep in, stay inside, and hopefully keep warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment